A classic, thick Greek sauce made with yogurt and grated cucumber that is delicious as a dip with pita bread or veggies, but also a great topping for grilled chicken, seafood or lamb.
PREP TIME: 15 min
MAKES: 2-3 cups
🥒 1 cup (250 g) Greek yogurt
🥒 1 cucumber
🥒 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
🥒 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh lemon juice
🥒 2 TBSP fresh dill, finely diced
🥒 3 TBSP (15ml) olive oil
🥒 ½ tsp salt
1) Add yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, dill, olive oil and salt to a bowl and mix well.
2) Wash the cucumber well, trim the ends and grate using a box/cheese grater (see 5th photo).
3) Line a bowl with paper towels, added the grated cucumber and press down to squeeze out as much moisture from the cucumber as possible (else the dip becomes watery). Use your hands to squeeze out any remaining liquid into a bowl (then drink the liquid, it’s delicious)
4) Add the grated cucumber to the bowl with the yogurt and mix well to combine.
5) Serve as a dip with grilled pita bread wedges, and/or celery for a low-carb option.
6) It also makes a great topping for grilled chicken, lamb, salmon or shrimp!
Serves as a dip with grilled pita bread and/or veggie. Garnish with a few fresh dill fronds...it's pretty!
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
Be sure to use whole (full fat) yogurt. Non-fat yogurt just won't give you the same rich satisfaction nor flavour.
Squeeze as much water as you can from the cucumber...but do it over a bowl as it's delicious to drink #NoFoodWaste
I mixed the garlic, yogurt, salt, olive oil and dill together the day before (just to get that work out of the way) and then added the grated cucumber a few hours before the party started. I was worried the dip would go soggy and the cucumber would lose it’s freshness if I combined everything the day before, so that worked perfectly