RECIPE: SUPERFOOD 'LASAGNE' BOWL
All the yumminess of lasagne flavours & textures made with superfoods (quinoa, beans and spinach) for a super yummy, nutrient-packed veggie-based dinner.
Pray for leftovers to take to work!
Don't you want to eat this???
The convenient thing about this recipe is that most of the ingredients are ones you can easily keep stocked in your fridge or pantry, so the prep time is mostly just raiding the cupboard while the quinoa cooks.
PREP TIME: 10 min
COOK TIME: 45 min
FOR COOKING THE QUINOA
½ cup (100 g) dried quinoa, rinsed
¼ tsp salt
1 cup water
FOR THE REST
9 oz (250 g) buffalo mozzarella (half to mix in, half for the top)
1 cup (100 g) shredded parmesan cheese (reserve a bit for the top)
1 sachet TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend
1 ¾ cup (14 oz / 400 g) cottage cheese
3 cups (75 g) fresh spinach leaves, chopped
One 15-oz (400 g) can white/cannellini beans
One 15-oz (400 g) can diced tomatoes
3 TBSP (one 70 g can) tomato paste/puree
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
5-6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
a few fresh basil leaves
Fresh spinach, olive oil, cottage cheese, quinoa, white beans, parmesan cheese, buffalo mozzarella balls, canned diced tomatoes, TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend. (Also add tomato paste/puree and fresh cherry tomatoes.) Click to buy Spice Blend.
1) Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C
2) Add rinsed quinoa, salt and water to a small pan and cook according to directions on package (about 13-15 min).
3) While that’s cooking, add ½ of your mozzarella (reserve the other half for the top) most of your parmesan (reserve a few spoonful’s for the top) and then the ‘REST’ of your ingredients to a large bowl and mix well
4) Add in the cooked quinoa to the bowl, mix well, and then spoon it all into an oven-proof dish.
5) Cut the remaining buffalo mozzarella into slices and distribute over the top along with sliced cherry tomatoes, then sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
6) Cover with foil, transfer to oven and cook for 40 min.
7) Remove foil, switch the heat to the top heat source (broil/grill) and cook another 5 minutes to melt and ‘brown’ the cheese a bit.
Ready to go into the oven
Spoon into individual serving bowls and garnish with fresh basil as desired.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
Quinoa cooking times can vary (some quinoa is already rinsed, so is par-boiled ect. so just follow the instructions on the package.
In Europe, it’s easy to find the little round buffalo mozzarella, but if you can’t find them in your grocery store, just substitute with the shredded mozzarella you would normally use for lasagna or pizza.
My family loves fresh cherry tomatoes, so we always have these on hand, but you can skip this step if you don’t have them or can’t be bothered.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time for prep and cook: 1 hour
Plan to cook the quinoa first, which takes about 12-15 min.
Use that time to get the rest of your ingredients together and into a large mixing bowl. Then you can stir in the cooked quinoa, get the dish into the oven, and go do something else while the oven does the work.