RECIPE: OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS & VEGETABLES
This is a go-to recipe in my house for weeknights as well as those times when you have house guests because...
1) the prep time is only 10 minutes.
2) I get both the protein AND the veggies in one dish, so I can be hands free and no fooling around with side dishes and making a mess on the stove.
3) it’s really yummy and full of goodness.
4) the leftovers are BRILLIANT for lunch...if you're luck to have any!
PREP TIME: 10 min
COOK TIME: 45 min
FOR THE CHICKEN
1 sachet TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend
3 TBSP (45ml) olive oil
1 TBSP (15 ml) honey
2.2 lb (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt to season
¾ cup (180 ml) white wine
¼ cup (60 ml) water
FOR THE VEGETABLES
1 ¼ lb (600 g) fresh green beans
Two 14-oz (400 g) cans white beans
½ lb (8 oz or 250 g) cherry tomatoes
Chicken thighs, white wine, olive oil, TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend, Click here to buy spice blend.
Fresh green beans, cherry tomatoes, canned/tinned white beans.
1) Preheat oven to 200C / 400F.
2) Add TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend, olive oil and honey to a large bowl and mix well to combine.
3) Season chicken thighs with salt on both sides, add to the bowl and, using a wooden spoon, mix well to ensure all of the chicken pieces are coated with the spice mixture.
4) Drain and rinse the white beans and add to the bottom of a large roasting pan/oven dish, add the fresh green beans, then nestle the chicken on top, pushing into the beans a bit.
5) Spread the cherry tomatoes over the top of the chicken, and pour in the water and wine
6) Cook for 40 minutes* in the oven, and then switch to the top heat (grill/broiler) and cook for another 5 minutes to brown the top.
Mix TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend, olive oil and honey, and chicken. Give it a stir.
Add the veggies and Ta DAAAA. Pop it in the oven.
Its ready in 40 minutes.
Best to use large shallow bowls for serving to hold the yummy sauce...and give everyone a spoon along with their knife and fork! :-)
You get the PROTEIN and VEGGIES in this one-pot Chicken and Vegetable dish. Its easy, and so little washing up!
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
CHICKEN: make sure you use dark meat, as it's cooked in 30 min, but you can leave it longer to tenderise and develop flavours...which let's you be flexible on the timing (when the kids walk in, when your guests arrive...)
WINE: Go for a dry white wine like sauvignon blanc or pinot gris/pinot grigio.
Is so easy - 5 minutes to season the chicken with salt, mix it with the spice/oil/honey mixture and another 5 minutes with the veggies...so you get dinner in the oven in 10 minutes and have your hands free for other things!
*FLEXIBLE COOKING TIMES
Need LESS THAN 1 HOUR hands free?
the follow directions above.
Need A FEW HOURS hands free
follow direction above, except cook at 120C / 250F for at 1.5 TO 2 hours...longer if necessary.