RECIPE: SIMPLE OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS
Simple because it will take you no more than 5 minutes to get it into the oven...
...and then go do something else while the oven does the work for you.
Pop our Healthy 'Cheat' Risotto on the stove as well (why not, you already have the wine out),
or serve over any other grain.
Add a simple side salad for some veggies and your golden.
PREP TIME: 5 min
COOK TIME: 50 min
1 sachet TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend
3 TBSP (45ml) olive oil
1 TBSP (15 ml) honey
6-8 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
Salt to season
2 TBSP (30 ml) white wine (or fresh lemon juice)
1 TBSP (15 ml) water
Chicken thighs, honey, white wine, olive oil,TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend. Click here to buy Spice Blend.
1) Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
2) Add TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend, olive oil and honey to a large bowl and mix well to combine.
3) Season chicken thighs with salt on both sides, add to the bowl and, using a wooden spoon, mix well to ensure all of the chicken pieces are coated with the spice mixture.
4) Transfer chicken to an 8x12 inch (20 x 30 cm) oven-proof dish, spreading them out so that they are not on top of each other, and then pour in the wine and water into the side of the dish (take care not to wash the seasoning off the top of the chicken).
5) Cook for 45 min in the oven, and then switch to the top heat (grill/broiler) and cook for another 5 minutes to brown the top.
Blend the oil and Tuscany Spice Blend to make the marinade.
Mix chicken, oil and Tuscany spice blend.
Transfer to an oven proof dish.
Ta Daaa. Looks yummy right?
Transfer to individual serving plates and spoon over a bit of the juice from the baking dish.
Pairs well with Healthy 'Cheat' Risotto or any other cooked grain. In fact, the juice is so yummy you will definitely want to serve this with a whole grain so that you have something healthy to soak up the sauce!
It pairs well with risotto or any grain as a side dish
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
CHICKEN: make sure you use dark meat, as it's cooked in 30 min, but you can leave it longer to tenderise and develop flavours...which let's you be flexible on the timing (when the kids walk in, when your guests arrive...)
WINE: Go for a dry white wine like sauvignon blanc or pinot gris/pinot grigio.
PREP TIME: so fast - it's 5 minutes to season the chicken with salt, mix it with the spice/oil/honey mixture, transfer to an oven dish and pour in the wine and water.
FLEXIBLE COOKING TIMES
NEED LESS THAN 1 HOUR HANDS FREE?
the follow directions above.
NEED A FEW HOURS HANDS FREE?
follow direction above, except cook at 120C for at 1.5 TO 2 hours...longer if necessary.
NEED DINNER IN 20 MIN START TO FINISH?
Follow steps 1-3 above, and place the chicken thighs in a smoking hot pan on the stove for about 3-5 min per side (depending on thickness). You can deglaze the pan with wine to create a quick sauce.