RECIPE: EASY OVEN-ROASTED SALMON
This recipe is great for weeknights when you need to get something quickly on the table.
PREP TIME: 5 min
COOK TIME: 20 min
4 salmon filets
salt & pepper to season
3 TBSP (45 ml) olive oil
1 sachet TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend
1 tsp (5 ml) honey
2 TBSP (30 ml) white wine
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
1) Place salmon in an 8 x 10 inch (20 x 30 cm) oven dish and season top side of salmon with salt.
2) Pour olive oil over the salmon, sprinkle entire sachet of TASTE OF TUSCANY spice blend evenly over the salmon, and then drizzle 1 teaspoon of honey evenly over the salmon.
3) Pour wine into the side of the dish (don't pour the wine over the salmon else you'll wash away the seasoning).
4) Transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes.
5) Switch the oven's heat source to broil on a high heat setting (top-down grill 250 C for the Europeans) and cook another 5 minutes, or until the top has browned and the white protein starts to bubble and leak out the sides.
Transfer to individual plates and spoon a bit of the pan juices over each piece. Pairs well with roasted broccoli, asparagus and/or my Cool Cucumber & Celery Salad.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
If you don’t have white wine on hand, use 1 TBSP of fresh lemon juice in place of the wine.
OVEN DISH SIZE AND LIQUID
If you use a really large oven dish, you'll probably need a bit more oil and wine in the bottom to keep the fish moist. you can see in the 'cooking instructions photos' above that the liquid covers the bottom 1/3 of the salmon...you don't want the fish submerged else the top won't brown.
Cook time will vary according to the thickness of fish - so it helps if you can buy 4 pieces with the same thickness.
If you're in a hurry, you can also pan-sear the salmon, about 4-5 min per side.
I prefer the oven as it keep my stove-top clean, and my kitchen smelling fresh. :-)