RECIPE: SPICE-RUBBED CHICKEN BREAST
This recipe is great for weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time and you need to get something quickly on the table.
Make your weeknight effort even QUICKER by seasoning the chicken in advance and sealing in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator.
Double the recipe to have leftovers for low-carb snacks, lunch, or meals later in the week.
See cooks notes for details.
PREP TIME: 5 min
COOK TIME: 8-10 min
FOR THE CHICKEN
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt & pepper to taste
1 sachet TASTE OF SANTA FE spice bend
3 TBSP (45 ml) olive oil for the rub
1 TBSP (15 ml) honey or agave
1 TBSP (15 ml) olive oil for the pan
¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
Squeeze of honey
Knob of butter
1) Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
2) Mix one sachet of TASTE OF SANTA FE spice blend with olive oil and honey/agave.
3) Divided spice mixture evenly across the top side of the filets, and rub in with the back of a spoon.
4) Add 1 TBSP olive oil to a hot pan and sear chicken, spice-side down, 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
5) Flip, reduce heat to medium, and cook another 4-5 minutes (until filets are cooked all the way through).
6) Remove from pan, cover loosely with foil and let rest 2-3 min before serving.
OPTIONAL SAUCE: While the chicken rests, pour ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar in the pan after you have removed the filets, cook for 1 minute on medium heat, stirring constantly. Turn of the heat, add a squeeze of honey and a small knob of butter and stir until melted through. Spoon over fillets as desired.
Move to individual plates and serve with veggies or salad of choice.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
Cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the fillets. If you are unsure, check after you’ve cooked the second side for 4 minutes by using a sharp knife to slice into the thickest side of the filet - if it’s pink, keep cooking until it’s white!
IF you happen to think about it in advance, follow step 1-3, place chicken in a Ziploc bag, add 1/4 cup additional olive oil and refrigerate for 1-3 days. This will make your chicken even more flavourful and tender...and then that step is already done, so when you have a busy night – take them out and sear them in a pan. How easy is that?
I often double this recipe and cook the next 4 breasts after dinner, then carve them up and store. Reason? This is such a great staple to have on hand in your fridge – for a low-carb snack, or add to a salad, or add to stir-fried veggies for meals later in the week, when time is tight.