RECIPE: PAN-SEARED LAMB LOIN
This recipe is so simple it makes for an easy week-night meal, yet so elegant you would be proud to serve this at a dinner party.
PREP TIME: 5 min
COOKING TIME: 8-10 min
FOR THE LAMB
2 lamb tenderloins
1 sachet TASTE OF LEBANON spice blend
2 TBSP (30 ml) olive oil
salt to season
OPTIONAL YOGURT SAUCE
½ cup (120 ml) plain yogurt
1 small clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper to tastE
1) Remove lamb from fridge (but keep it in its packaging) at least 1 hour before cooking so that it can come up to room temperature.
2) Season lamb with salt on all sides.
3) Mix one sachet Taste of Lebanon with olive oil, divide mixture over the lamb loins and rub in with the back of a spoon.
4) Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and drizzle in a bit of olive oil (to keep lamb from sticking).
5) Pan sear lamb on all sides to desired doneness – about 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare...depending on the thickness of the meat.
6) Transfer to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes before carving into thin slices.
7) To make the yogurt sauce, simply mix all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside
Transfer sliced lamb to individual serving plates and spoon yogurt sauce over sliced lamb as desired.
Pairs well with oven-roasted cauliflower and broccoli
Served with Roasted Broccoli. Click here for recipe.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
This bit is important because if you put cold meat in a hot pan, you’ll end up burning the outside while you try to get the middle part of the meat up to a safe temperature
MAKE IT LIKE A CHEF
For elegant dinner parties, I add a little butter to the pan and as you cook and turn the lamb, and baste/spoon some of the pan juices over the meat. Then instead of the yogurt sauce, just spoon a little of the pan juices over the carved lamb after plating.
Slice it then and at an angle for the most delicate, tender bites