HEALTHY CHICKEN SHOARMA
SERVED OVER QUINOA WITH A
HOMEMADE GARLIC SAUCE AND
GREEK SALAD ON THE SIDE
So simple - it will take you 5 minutes to get the chicken ready for the oven, and then go do something else while the oven does the work for you.
Serve with my STURDY GREEK SALAD for a tasty, fresh crunch of veggies and vitamin boost.
FOR THE CHICKEN
1 sachet TASTE OF LEBANON spice blend
3 TBSP (45ml) olive oil
1 TBSP (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 TBSP (15 ml) honey
8 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
Salt to season
½ cup (120 ml) water
fresh chives to garnish
FOR THE QUINOA
1 cup (200 g) dried quinoa (rinsed)
1 2/3 cups (400 ml) water
½ tsp salt
CREAMY GARLIC SAUCE
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 TBSP (45 ml) Greek yogurt
3 TBSP (45 ml) mayonnaise
1 TBSP (15 ml) lemon juice (or to taste)
1) Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
2) Add TASTE OF LEBANON spice blend, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey to a large bowl and mix well to combine.
3) Season chicken thighs with salt on both sides, add to the bowl and, using a wooden spoon, mix well to ensure all the chicken pieces are coated with the spice mixture.
4) Transfer chicken to an oven-proof baking dish.
5) Pour ½ cup (120 ml) water into the mixing bowl that had the chicken and swish around just to get the residual spices, then pour that water into the side of the baking dish (not over the chicken as you don’t want to wash the spice coating away).
6) Cook for 60 min in the oven, remove and let stand 5 minutes before slicing
BRING THE MEAL TOGETHER
COOK THE QUINOA: 15 min before the chicken is ready, add rinsed quinoa, water and salt to a medium-sized pot, bring to a boil, cover and let simmer 12-15 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork when finished.
MAKE GARLIC SAUCE: mixing together 3 cloves minced garlic, 3 TBSP Greek yogurt, 3 TBSP mayonnaise and 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice.
Spoon quinoa onto a serving platter or individual serving plates, add sliced chicken, spoon over a some of the juice from the baking dish and top with garlic sauce as desired.
Serve with my STURDY GREEK SALAD (which you can make a few days ahead of time) for a tasty, healthy crunch of veggies that are a natural compliment to this type of dish!
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
CHICKEN: make sure you use chicken thighs (kippendijen) as it's cooked in 30 min, but you can leave it longer to tenderise and develop flavours...which lets you be flexible on the timing (when the kids walk in or when your guests arrive)
MEAL PLANNING NOTES
Plan 5 minutes to season the chicken with salt, mix it with the spice/oil/honey mixture, transfer to an oven dish and pour in the water.
Pairing with GREEK SALAD means you can make your salad a few days in advance to have on hand for this meal and others -your fresh veggies are sorted.
If you want to serve it with quinoa, plan 2-3 minutes to get it going, then hands-free 12-15 minutes time to cook. I usually start the quinoa 15 min before the chicken is done, then use that time to set the table, get out the salad, fill the water glasses and light the candles :-)
FLEXIBLE COOKING TIMES
NEED A FEW MORE HOURS HANDS FREE? follow directions above, except cook at 120C for 2 hours...longer if necessary, or at 100C for 4 hours.