FRESH & SIMPLE GREEN BEANS
Garden-fresh green beans make for a great side dish at almost any meal.
Serving them with caramelized onions really compliments their flavor and elevates them to a level you won’t have to prompt anyone to finish their veggies.
Cooked with caramelized onions.
PREP TIME: 10 min
COOK TIME: 20 min
3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 lb (500 g) fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh green beans, yellow onion.
Trim off the ends and cut in half.
1) Heat pan over medium high heat and add olive oil.
2) Add diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3) Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for at least another 15 minutes so the onions become soft and sweet, stirring occasionally.
4) While onions are cooking, bring a pot ofwater to boil, add green beans and cook in boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
5) Drain and rinse under cold water, then submerge the beans in cold water as set aside until ready to finish them off.
6) Two to three minutes before you’re ready to serve, drain the green beans from the cold water and stir them into to the pan with the onions. Cook on medium for about 2 or more minutes, just until the beans are warmed through.
Salt and pepper to taste, and move to a serving bowl or individual plates.
Pairs well with Pan-Seared Pork Chops.
Fresh & Simple Green Beans with caramelized onions
Click below to see the start-to-finish process and explanations.
Recipe and photo credits: Cathy Menees
Video production credit: Hannah Menees
Submerging the green beans in cold water stops the cooking process and also help retain their beautiful green color.
Cooking the onions on medium-low heat starts the caramelization process where the natural sugars in the onions start to come out and brown in the pan, creating a slightly sweet glaze.
This is great side dish that is easy to coordinate the timing with the rest of the meal as you can ‘pause’ the process while you can get the rest of your dishes prepared. Just turn the beans and onions off the heat until you’re about 3 minutes away from serving. Turn the heat back on to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes to warm them through.
LOVE YOUR LEFTOVERS:
These green beans make a great addition to omelets or salads, so even if you only have a few spoonfuls, save them for something else!