BASIL PESTO COD
Cod is a great choice for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table quickly, as it takes very little time to cook. Slathered on some fresh pesto and you've got restaurant fish in under 10 minutes!
PREP TIME: 5-10 min
COOK TIME: 5-7 min
4 pieces of cod (roughly 5 oz/150 g each)
4 tsp (20 ml) prepared Classic Basil Pesto
2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Season the cod with salt and pepper on both sides and place in a shallow baking dish
2) Divide the 4 tsp of pesto evenly across the top side of each piece of cod and rub into the fish with the back of a spoon.
3) Drizzle cod filets with a bit of olive oil.
4) Heat a pan on med-high heat and add 2 Tbsp oil.
5) Sear the cod top side (pesto side) down for 2 minutes and flip. Cook for another 1 minute on medium high, then turn heat down to medium and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until cod starts to flake when gentle pressure is applied.
Place filets on serving plates and spoon over a bit of the residule oil and pesto bits from the pan. Pairs well with Red Cabbage & Beet Salad
Recipe & Photo Credit: Cathy Menees
Go for sustainably sourced cod - we don’t like the seas to be over-fished!
You can use store-bought pesto, but it's unbelievably tastier if you make it fresh. Trust me. Pesto will keep for 7-10 days, and then you can have a nice pesto ravioli dinner a few nights later!
The cooking time will vary by the thickness of your cod filets. The best test of ‘doneness’ for cod is to gently press the filets with the back side f a spoon or fork. If they easily start to flake and separate at the seams, it’s ready. Before that, it’s under cooked. After that, it’s dry. So be watchful. You’ll get a feeling for it the more you do it